Sunday, July 26, 2009

Candied Nuts

Candied pecans and candied walnuts make great gifts. Make a batch, put them in glass jars, tie a ribbon around it, and your friends will be so impressed. They look pretty, and they are delicious (the candied nuts, not your friends. I mean, your friends might be pretty and delicious, I'm not saying they're not).

Anyway, you can snack on them or put them on salads. (Again, I don't know what your friends are like; I'm still just talking about the nuts.)


The recipe I like to use is from my own cookbook, Get Out of My Kitchen--I'm Cooking! available at all major bookstores.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine 2 cups raw walnuts or pecans, 1 cup white sugar, and 1/2 cup water in a heavy saucepan. Cook over medium heat and stir for about 15 minutes (until mixture crystallizes). Grease a large baking pan and spread nuts (plus mixture) in an even layer on top. I like to line the pan with parchment paper as well, because it makes clean-up easier. Sprinkle the nuts with salt and bake for 15 minutes. Turn with a greased spatula and cook for another 15 minutes. Let cool. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment