Friday, February 26, 2010

La Grigne

Here's an interesting new word I just learned from the Kitchn:

"La Grigne: In baking terms, this refers to the little lip of crust that pulls away from the body of the baking loaf right along the score-marks slashed in the surface. In french, this literally means 'the grin.' "

Since they are such a bread-loving country, it makes sense that the French would have a word for that. And "the grin" is usually very tasty too.


  1. but often quite painful for the roof of the mouth.

  2. True. Sometimes it hurts to grin. :P