Friday, September 11, 2009

"It's great. Just let me go."

Koan of the Day:

One day, a old master had a vision of his next life. He immediately called in his favorite disciple and begged a favor of him.

"Anything for you, master." the disciple replied.

"In my next life, I will come back as a pig. Soon after I die, our sow will give birth and I will be the fourth pig of the litter. You will recognize me by a mark on my brow. When that happens, please take a sharp knife and end my life quickly.

Within the year, the master passed away and the sow gave birth. The disciple sharpened his knife and found the small piglet. Suddenly the little pig screamed "Stop! Don't kill me!"

The disciple dropped his knife in surprise and stared at the little pig. "When I was like you I didn't know what a pig's life would be like. It's great. Just let me go."

From: http://www.nozen.com/koans.htm

2 comments:

  1. Some wise old master! I am unimpressed with his pre-reincarnation wisom.
    Did you use a guinea pig picture because it was cuter than a regular pig?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zen master Beebo says, "All pigs are one to the one with Zen mind."

    (And yes, I used the guinea pig cuz he's cuter.)
    :P

    ReplyDelete