Friday, September 25, 2009

Tattoos

I'm not a big fan of tattoos but I've seen a few recently that I've admired.

Katy Perry (and I'm not a big fan of hers either) got a really cute one recently on the side of her foot. It's a happy strawberry. I like tattoos that are sweet and harmless like that (as opposed to "bad-ass").

However, I also really liked an amusingly bad-ass (in a way) tattoo I glimpsed the other day while riding home on Metro. A tough-looking guy on a motorcycle had a giant tattoo on his forearm...of Abraham Lincoln. Random! I liked the combination of nerdiness and toughness. Also, Abraham Lincoln is cool, obviously.

On my bus ride home yesterday, I spotted another tattoo that I admired. Actually, first I noticed the girl and admired her whole look. Her hair was bleached white blonde and styled into loose-but-fake curls, like Marilyn Monroe's. She was sexy in a deliberately tawdry retro way. Then I noticed her feet--the ruby slippers were tattooed on the top of her foot! I like the idea of having shoes tattooed onto your foot. It's so literal. And those are the most iconic shoes I can think of. It was kind of an ugly tattoo, in a way, but on her, it worked.

4 comments:

  1. How about that guy on Project Runway who had his kid's name hugely tattooed on his neck? Didn't you like that one? [insert innocent face icon here]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I forgot about that. Putting your child's name hugely on your neck is really cool--and certain not to embarrass the child later on in life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I looked it up--not only is it embarrassingly gushy, but it's grammatically incorrect. It says 'Harrison Detroit is the Love of my Life' [and who doesn't want THAT on their dad's neck] in wrongly-written Italian. And the tattoo took more than eight hours to complete. Happy birthday, kid!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gross. Maybe it's an attempt to guilt the kid into not putting him into an old age home one day. Like, "Goodbye, dad! Ohhhh, I can't look at that neck and still do this..."

    ReplyDelete