Friday, January 29, 2010

Short Hair

For some reason, the stylists at Gene Juarez often seem to me to be cold, bitter, and depressed. But you can usually get a pretty good haircut there.

My previous long-time hairdresser, Secondary Jennifer, had a baby. After the arrival of Baby Julian, she cut her hours waaaay back, making it much more difficult to see her. For the past year or so, I've been cutting my own hair, using some professional tools I bought online. It's been working out pretty well but it got to the point where I just really wanted to get a professional haircut again.

Today I took the day off work and went to see someone called "Riley" at Gene Juarez. I'd never met her before so I didn't know what to expect. I tried to find some photos of the cut I wanted (short but soft in the back and sides, full in front) but I didn't manage to find any.

When Riley walked up, I was pleased to see that she herself sported exactly the hairstyle I wanted! So I just told her, "I want your hair!" and she did an amazing job of replicating it on my head. She did seem kind of withdrawn and unhappy, like all the Gene Juarez stylists do, but she was perfectly pleasant to me and did beautiful work.

In my book, a good hair day = a good day!

4 comments: